clifhostetler

Clif's Book World

Adventures from reading books captured within short reviews.

Day of Reckoning: How Hubris, Ideology, and Greed Are Tearing America Apart

Day of Reckoning: How Hubris, Ideology, and Greed are Tearing America Apart - Patrick J. Buchanan Mr. Buchanan is known for his politically conservative views. He is something of a modern day Jeremiah proclaiming the coming cataclysmic end of the nation. When his views conform with my own generally liberal beliefs, his clear articulation of problems meets with my approval. His scathing critic of the current administration's careless squandering of international goodwill following 911 with their overt display of hubris is very well written.

His strident decrying of the "culture wars" is overdone in my opinion. He says that the invasion from Mexico as a bigger threat to the USA than anything happening in Afghanistan and Iraq. I generally agree that there are many problems facing our country. However, many of his proposed solutions are too draconian for my tastes.

Nevertheless, the book was worth reading to learn what he has to say. Mr Buchanan has a lot of supporters and this book gives an insight into their views.