clifhostetler

Clif's Book World

Adventures from reading books captured within short reviews.

Big Divide: A Travel Guide to Historic and Civil War Sites in the Missouri-Kansas Border Region - Diane Eickhoff,  Aaron Barnhart Those who forget the lessons of history ... (I forget how the rest of that saying goes.) Nevertheless, I have a feeling that it's probably a good idea to know where we came from and learn a bit about those who helped build the world we live in today. This book provides any easy way for those of us living in the Missouri-Kansas border region to appreciate history that took place in our back yard. And for others interested in history, this book provides historical information about a region of the country that is often overlooked by those living in other parts of the world.

This is a travel guide as indicated by the subtitle, but the book is so unique that I'm not sure that label does it justice. This is the first travel guide that I've come across that is arranged in chronological order. It starts with a overview of geologic history, acknowledges early native peoples, moves on to early settlers, expands on action leading up to and through the Civil War, and then reviews more recent history. All along this chronological route the book lists all the locations and sites where these things happened and where artifacts of this history can be visited and appreciated.

The authors of this book visited all 130 historic sites, monuments, museums, parks, cemeteries, and shrines that are described in this book. The sole focus of this book is on providing the reader an idea of what to expect as a visitor to these sites. So you'll need to consult other guides for information on restaurants and lodging. The authors even took their grandchildren to some of the sites to test out the kid friendly aspects of the sites. So families can rely of this book to be a helpful guide in choosing educational sites to visit that can be enjoyed by all ages.

I wonder how many people have visited all 130 sites mentioned in this book. I'm pretty sure that the authors are the only ones to have taken careful and thorough notes during all their visits. Perhaps I can set it as a goal for my retirement years to visit all the sites mentioned in this book.