clifhostetler

Clif's Book World

Adventures from reading books captured within short reviews.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln - Doris Kearns Goodwin By the time I finished this book I felt I had lived a life time with Abe and was fully acquainted with the members of his cabinet. The book is actually five (or more) biographies which explains its length. It's hard to imagine any other personality being able to do what Lincoln did in holding the northern political extremes together during the Civil War.

The following short description of the books is from my Book Lover's Calendar (Workman Publishing Co.). I thought it was a very good summary of the book.

Doris Kearns Goodwin is one of nonfiction’s gifts to the world. Here she examines Lincoln’s political savvy in his choosing for allies disgruntled rivals William H. Seward, Salmon P. Chase, Edward M. Stanton, and Edward Bates, enlisting all three opponents in the Republication nomination of 1860 for important posts in his cabinet. The “rube” from Illinois won the respect and loyalty of these accomplished, urbane men, and together they put their skills and abilities to work in the service of a nation very much in need of leadership and vision.