clifhostetler

Clif's Book World

Adventures from reading books captured within short reviews.

Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson, Becket Royce I have mixed feelings about this book. I presume most readers will enjoy the poetic introspective language used in telling the story of two girls who grow up in a family with a streak of free-spirit in their family heritage. Unfortunately, the term “free-spirit” is in this case may be a euphemism for mental illness. I’m not qualified to diagnose this sort of illness, but I am unable to celebrate such behavior.

The story is told in first person by the younger of the two sisters who grows up in what is best described as benign neglect. The narrative has the sound of an innocent child who views the only environment she’s know as being normal. In the end the sisters go in opposite directions. I can’t say much more without being a spoiler. I will say that you need to read all the way through the end to understand the book. Otherwise it will seem like a story in which not much happens.

This book was selected as the “Big Read” for Kansas City, MO this year. I didn’t want to be left out so I listened to the audio format. Now I feel like a good member of the metro area.