clifhostetler

Clif's Book World

Adventures from reading books captured within short reviews.

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl - Timothy Egan Wow, what a story! This books brings together a number of these dust bowl era stories in a gripping narrative that definitely holds the reader's attention. I heard similar stories when I was young told by my parents, and this book certainly brings those times to life. It's hard to believe that these true stories happened within the lifetime of many people still living today. My father used to tell me that some people thought the American central and high plains were turning into desert. And that may have happened if farming practices hadn't changed, many shelter belts of trees planted, and a lot of marginal land taken out of cultivation in response to the experience of the dust bowl years.

The following is the short review of this book from PageADay's Book Lover's Calendar for Dec 29, 2011:
DUST TO DUST
“Dust clouds boiled up, ten thousand feet or more in the sky, and rolled like moving mountains,” writes Timothy Egan in this vivid account of one of America’s greatest ecological disasters. Eight years of drought in the midst of the Great Depression and reckless, market-driven land policy produced the Dust Bowl and blighted the lives of farmers and their communities. Egan’s portrait of the people caught in the massive, swirling soil is dramatic and sobering. Utterly engrossing for those with an interest in the environment, the Great Plains, and U.S. history.
THE WORST HARD TIME, by Timothy Egan (Mariner Books, 2006)

The following is the short review of this book from PageADay's Book Lover's Calendar for September 5, 2012:
LIVING HISTORY
“Dust clouds boiled up, ten thousand feet or more in the sky and rolled like moving mountains.… When the dust fell, it penetrated everything: hair, nose, throat, kitchen, bedroom, well.”
The “black blizzards” of the 1930s were the U.S.’s worst 20th-century environmental disaster. Millions of acres of land were wiped away, and with them lives and communities. Timothy Egan recounts the calamity in this gripping cautionary tale, a National Book Award winner the Seattle Post-Intelligencer calls “a flat-out masterpiece of historical reportage.”
THE WORST HARD TIME: THE UNTOLD STORY OF THOSE WHO SURVIVED THE GREAT AMERICAN DUST BOWL, by Timothy Egan (Mariner Books, 2006)