clifhostetler

Clif's Book World

Adventures from reading books captured within short reviews.

Oh the Glory of it All - Sean Wilsey This book made be feel a bit uncomfortable reading about personal and family matters that normally shouldn't be made public. But I enjoyed it anyway. The writing is good and carries the reader's interest. The story ends well with the teenager who was a royal screw-up finally becoming enough of a mature adult to write this book. Thank goodness he survived his childhood. The story makes me thankful that I wasn't born rich.

The following is from PageADay's Book Lover's Calendar for October 10, 2012:
A LIFE
Sean Wilsey is like some latter-day Cinderella, ruled by the machinations of a wicked stepmother but with a socially elite childhood. Rather than a ball and a happy ending, Wilsey gets Italian reform school, but it’s all told with manically entertaining wit. Elle called the memoir “wild, wise and whip-smart.” Think of it as Stepmommy Dearest.
OH, THE GLORY OF IT ALL, by Sean Wilsey (Penguin, 2006)

The following is from PageADay's Book Lover's Calendar for October 17, 2007:
The Critics Rave
“Wilsey’s portrait of a scheming stepmother is...deliciously searing...and convincing.”—The New York Times Book Review
“Rollicking, ruthless, though ultimately generous-hearted.”—Vogue
“Holy moley this is a great read—probably the most compulsively readable book I’ve picked up in years.”—Dave Eggers, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Wilsey grew up in 1980s San Francisco with a germaphobe millionaire father, an erratic socialite mother, and a wicked stepmother. His memoir of them and his wild ride of a childhood is not to be missed.
OH THE GLORY OF IT ALL, by Sean Wilsey (The Penguin Press, 2005)