clifhostetler

Clif's Book World

Adventures from reading books captured within short reviews.

Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond - Chris Crowley, Henry S. Lodge This book is co-authored by two men. Henry S. Lodge, M.D. provides the level headed, scientifically sound, commentary while the other co-author, Chris Crowley, spouts out the "mano-e-mano" pep-talk targeted at the reader's male ego. I say male ego because this book is specifically aimed at men who are 50 or over contemplating retirement, growing old, and dying.

The promise of this book is that if the male reader gets with the program they can live, as indicated by the book's subtitle, "Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond." The book is designed to motivate its targeted audience to (1) Exercise 6 days a week, (2) Eat a healthy diet, and (3) Connect to other people and commit to being passionate about something. The combination of the book's scientific and macho messages provides the psychological effect of a cheering crowd encouraging the reader to head for the gym, eat healthy, and be gregarious and passionate about life. The lessons are hammered into the reader's mind with Lodge being the teacher/educator and Crowley being the gym/life coach.

A friend of mine, who didn't like the book, informed me that if one adds up all the expenses for the sport activities suggested by Crowley in this book that the total comes to about $20,000 per year. Well, it's true that Crowley says a lot of things that tend to be a bit over the top. But I blew that stuff off as hyper-motivational talk. There's a section of the book titled "Chasing the Iron Bunny" in which the book emphasizes the importance of living in retirement within your means.

Regarding the subject of food, this book says "don't go on a diet" because they never work. Instead stop eating "crap" and eat appropriate serving sizes. This together with a physically active lifestyle will allow the body's weight to take care of itself. Then the book proceeds to contradict its own advice by telling the reader to not eat potatoes, rice and pasta because of the carbohydrates. That sounds like a diet to me.

In general, I pretty much already comply with their recommended lifestyle (less expensive sporting activities). So I received much of their message as affirmation of things I'm already doing. But there were plenty of suggestions throughout the book that I will consider making part of my own life. But I think I'll continue eating potatoes, rice and pasta (as a part of a balance diet) in spite of the book's condemnation of carbohydrates.

These authors also have published another version of this book aimed at women titled [b:Younger Next Year for Women|96597|Younger Next Year for Women|Chris Crowley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1171344312s/96597.jpg|93105].

The following is from the 2008 PageADay Booklover's Calendar:
LIVE BETTER
Septuagenarian Chris Crowley, a former litigator, and internist Henry Lodge deliver their irresistibly upbeat philosophy just in time for baby boomers who want the golden years to be truly golden. Mixing accessible science and convincing personal testimony, the authors give an easy-to-follow blueprint for healthful, zestful longevity: keeping the body vital, even turning back the clock, and, equally important, exercising the mind and satisfying the need for social connection. The medical community and a legion of enthusiastic readers made this book a deserving bestseller.
YOUNGER NEXT YEAR: A GUIDE TO LIVING LIKE 50 UNTIL YOU’RE 80 AND BEYOND, by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, M.D. (Workman Publishing, 2004)